Re: Official Exim 4 package

Colin Watson wrote:
> Please go and understand why shared libraries need to include the soname
> version in their package name, and then come back. If the version is
> removed from the package name upgrades (certainly partial upgrades)
> *will* break badly. And no, it's not particularly a hack: allowing
> concurrent installation of multiple versions of a single package would
> be much worse.
..
> Well, if you feel like rewriting dpkg from the ground up (yes, your
> ideas *will* require that) and making sure you can handle full
> inter-release upgrades and partial upgrades correctly, feel free. Until
> then we need to stick with what we've got, which is working pretty well.

It's not all _that_ hard. For example, consider a new field,
IgnoreThisPartOfTheName.

Package: gimp1.4
IgnoreThisPartOfTheName: 1.4

Here dpkg and apt need only be taught to remove the
IgnoreThisPartOfTheName from the package name when displaying it, and to
treat the result as a virtual package so users can query for it too. We
wouldn't even need much of a transition plan for this, as older dpkgs
could continue to use the packages.

Or, a field called AddThisToThePackageName:

Package: gimp
AddThisToThePackageName: 1.4

Here dpkg can append the field internally to get its unique key. This
would require a transition plan.

These are not very good proposals, but they do show how gigantic changes
to the whole package toolchain could be avoided. Of course, there is
also this option:

Package: gimp1.4
Provides: gimp

And then make dpkg and apt treat virtual packages as more first-class
packages, so you could instlal, remove and query a virtual package by
name, and maybe modify frontends to do some smarter presentation using
the provides fields than they do now.

--
see shy jo