Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

Hal Vaughan wrote:

<snip>

While some people do better with a command line interface, others do much better with an intuitive or graphical interface.

<snip>

Some people learn and take in information best when everything is neat and orderly.
<snip>

You may like the curses interface. Good for you. Others may, for MANY reasons, prefer a more intiutive interface.

Adding a GUI installer is just as much a part of technical excellence as anything else Debian.

<snip>

I can't _believe_ I'm letting myself get sucked into this thread . . . :-)

I believe you may be confusing some of your terms. The opposite of GUI is not necessarily CLI, and a curses-based interface is not necessarily non-intuitive. A curses interface that says "Press the ENTER key on your keyboard to install Foo" is just as intuitive as "Click the button below with your mouse to install Foo" (in fact, some might argue that it's more intuitive, as almost everyone in the world has pushed a button at one time or another, yet millions, maybe billions, have never touched a mouse).

The problem with a GUI installer on Debian is that Debian doesn't run only on i386, like some of the more "popular" distros. In such a situation, it's very hard to write a GUI that'll work the same and look the same on 11 or 16 (or however many) different architectures.

Granted, the text-based (whether CLI or curses-based) installer needs work, but that can be accomplished without resorting to a GUI.

I think that what most people who clammer for a GUI installer really want is a more easy-to-accomplish installation, not necessarily a graphics-based installation. Of course, I could be wrong. (That'd be the third time this year if I am - doh!)

Kent