Re: Boot problem

ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:01:55 -0500
>mrmoo1231@netscape.net wrote:
>
>> one of times after which I recompiled a 2.4.16 kernel for the Official
>> Deb (I got the source pkg. from the Libranet CD's), and carefully
>> modified the /boot/grub/menu.lst on Libranet, I got a kernel panic on
>> the subsequent boot.
>>
>> Here are the exact 5 last lines (they all seemed relevant):
>>
>> request_module[ide-disk]: Root fs not mounted
>> hdb: driver not present
>> VFS: Cannot open root device "hdb3" or 03:43
>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:43 (is this a sector
>> or block designation or something?)
>

>> * when I booted into the official Deb. (again, on /dev/hdb3) with a
>> "rescue root=/dev/hdb3"  and ran fdisk to check the partitioning,
>> fdisk says that /dev/hdb3 overlaps /dev/hdb1 (don't ask where
>> /dev/hdb2 went, I haven't the foggiest).
>
>You don't have IDE support for your hard drive, and that's the reason
>request-module [ide-disk] fails. In fact, you shouldn't see a
>request-module at all.
>
>In menuconfig, check "ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support" -> "IDE, ATA and ATAPI
>Block devices" -> "Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support". I'll bet you have an
>"M" there. Put a "*" there, and try again.
>
>While you're at it, check "File systems", and make sure whatever you use
>for a root filesystem has support compiled in. Also check "Block
>devices" and make sure "Normal PC floppy disk support" has a "*" there.
>
>Check out the newbiedoc on kernel compiling:
>
>http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
>
>Let us know if any of that doesn't work or doesn't make sense.
>
>Kevin

No, actually it makes great sense -- I just can't believe I might have left something so obvious out!  (I suppose I may have thought IDE support was a default 'yes,' -- but I can see how it may be best assumed NOT, because SCSI is right popular....  Linux keeps me humble... (yet proud I use it :-) )
Thanks!
the "Linux Librarian"
(Mark)

http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promos=380455