Re: smbmount

I'll offer apologies up top if there's anything funky about the way in which
this posting is formatted: it is largely out of my control until I get Exim4
running, because it is sent via the WWW ATTWorldNet emailer interface from
MSDoze95. I have no control over how that software mutilates my message.

Somebody, please help me get experimental package "exim4" up and configured.
Instead of b**ing at me.

Previously on this List, 'twas written:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Debian 3.0 i386.  I think the kernel is 2.2.20.  At least that's
> what's returned when I do "uname -a".
>
> My problem is I can't run smbmount using Debian.  The error is:
> "ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
> Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
> smbmnt failed: 255"
>
> Does this mean I have to compile a new kernel?  And do you happen to know
where
> / how I tell this new kernel to support the smbfs filesystem?

Yes and No. Yes, it means you have to compile a new kernel (do not be afraid, I
did it for the first time in my life last week. It isn't too bad -- but
remember, `make-kpkg' is your good friend).

No, I cannot tell you what to tell the configuration mechanism. I don't know
which one you will use (assuming X, I recommend `make xconfig'). You will
readily find the toggle for samba if you just sit down and patiently work out
with the Kernel Build Configurator of your choice, which is really an amazing
bit of software in its own right, and very reliable and easy to use.

I built samba into my kernel and it is NO PROBLEM.

  Best,
    Soren A

--
So, my little one-eyed one, on