Re: i can not start x from screen session

Once upon a time Kent West said...
> Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
>
> >i am unable to start x from a screen session.
> >
> >it exits with a message 'user not authorized to run x server'. how can i
> >remedy it?
> >
> >will i be opening a security hole if i overcome this problem?
> >
> Look at the "allowed users=" line in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config. You
> probably want it to look like:
>
> allowed_users=console

I would have thought that Sandip would need allowed_users=anybody
since he is trying to run it from screen(1), which will just use a
regular pty, not a virtual console, and you need to be running X from a
virtual console if you have allowed_users=console.

To reconfigure this parameter, you dont need to edit the Xwrapper file
directly - instead run:

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common

Check out the man page for Xwrapper.config(5)