Re: smbmount

Brian wrote:

Hi,

I'm using Debian 3.0 i386.  I think the kernel is 2.2.20.  At least that's what's returned when I do "uname -a".

My problem is I can't run smbmount using Debian.  The error is:
"ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255"

Does this mean I have to compile a new kernel?  And do you happen to know where / how I tell this new kernel to support the smbfs filesystem?

Try "modprobe smbfs" to install the samba file system module into the kernel. Not sure it's available as a 2.2.20 module, but try it. Then try your smbmount command.

Kent