Re: smbmount

Brian wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Debian 3.0 i386.  I think the kernel is 2.2.20.  At least that's what's returned when I do "uname -a".

My problem is I can't run smbmount using Debian.  The error is:
"ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255"

Does this mean I have to compile a new kernel?  And do you happen to know where / how I tell this new kernel to support the smbfs filesystem?

Thank you.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

you can try :

<snip>
draupner:# dpkg -l smbfs
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad) ||/ Name Version Description
+++-==============================-==============================-============================================================================
ii smbfs 2.999+3.0.alpha21-4 mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for kernels >= than 2.2.x)
draupner:#
<snip>

and see what it gives you, if nothing, then :
<snip>
draupner:# apt-cache search smbfs
linneighborhood - An SMB network browser for Linux and X11.
samba - a LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
smbclient - a LanManager-like simple client for Unix
smbfs - mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for kernels >= than 2.2.x)
draupner:#
<snip>

apt-get install smbfs

good luck