Re: KDE 3.1 installation complains about kmidi

>From Robert Björn on Tuesday, 2003-03-25 at 20:06:28 +0100:
> Hello Conrad,
>
> Thanks for your advice. I will keep the -s option in mind next time.
>
> My Debian installation still seems to be working, despite that apt-get took a
> lot of stuff from unstable. I hope my good luck continues.
>
> The reason that I took KDE from unstable was because I thought it was the way
> I was supposed to do, in order to get it installed, given that it wasn't
> present in stable. I'm not sure I understand your sample apt config. If I put
> both stable and unstable sources in there, like this:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ unstable
>
> ...surely I would get an old KDE instead of KDE 3.1 in unstable when I try to
> apt-get it?

Generally speaking, if you started with stable, the KDE packages
would not be upgraded unless you do a distribution upgrade with

apt-get dist-upgrade

On the other hand, apt usually looks for the most up to date versions
of the packages, so if you include both stable and unstable in your
/etc/apt/sources.list, you can expect most of the new programs you
install to come from unstable, perhaps dragging many things with them,
unless you explicitly ask for stable.  This you can do like this:

apt-get install packagename/stable

In principle it is possible to give preference to the stable
distribution, while at the same time installing some packages
from testing or unstable, but I think this is not what you want.

What I was proposing in my previous message is that you delete
unstable from /etc/apt/sources.list, and instead have the
following configuration:

deb ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian stable main

Then you have a stable distribution (with all the advantages
that implies) together with an up-to-date KDE 3.1.

Alternatively, if you do decide to keep unstable, then I would
also include testing, and delete the source from kde.org:

deb ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

If you are presently using unstable, and things seem to be OK,
just stick with it!  If you have no external apt sources,
upgrading is usually simpler.  A few things may be broken
but so long as it is not a crucial package why should
you care?  Example:  KMail is broken, but I use mutt anyway.

In case you have not noticed yet, when things go wrong
with apt-get, you should start by repeating exactly the
same command.  apt-get may correct the problem in the
second attempt.

Conrad