Re: Kernel Recompile Issue

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:58:42 -0600
"Irish, Jon D MEVATEC" <Jon.Irish@AMD.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

> I just recompiled my kernel to get sound working. I used 2.4.20, and
> sound is now working fine :-) However, my network connection is now
> dead.  I selected it when I compiled the kernel (it is a 3com 3c905C),
> and dmesg reveals that it was found and loaded. ifconfig shows it, but
> there is not IP address assigned to it. If I try dhclient eth0, I get
> no errors, but no address either. /etc/network/interfaces looks fine
> (even has the DHCP switch). What am I missing here?

You probably missed one of the two network options required for dhcp.

In menuconfig, go to "Networking Options" and select both "Packet
socket" (the first item) and "Socket Filtering" (the sixth item).

Then, since you need to recompile anyway, head over to

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

and see if there's something there you can use.