Kernel Recompile Issue

I just recompiled my kernel to get sound working. I used 2.4.20, and sound is now working fine :-) However, my network connection is now dead.  I selected it when I compiled the kernel (it is a 3com 3c905C), and dmesg reveals that it was found and loaded. ifconfig shows it, but there is not IP address assigned to it. If I try dhclient eth0, I get no errors, but no address either. /etc/network/interfaces looks fine (even has the DHCP switch). What am I missing here?

Sincerely,
Jon D. Irish (Mevatec Contractor)
Lower Tier Project Office