Re: Official Exim 4 package

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 07:40, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Just because a package moves from 1.x to 2.x or 3.x gives no indication
> > of any major changes.  They are just version numbers.
>
> Actually, when the major number changes, that's generally an
> indication that something big has changed.

I hate to bring them into the discussion, but even Micro$oft follows
that reasoning with Windows - when the underlying codebase of the
Windows kernel makes a change, they make a change to the o/s major
number. Hence Windows 1 was a 640 KB based 16-bit windowing system that
*could* be coerced to use extra memory, Windows 2 ran primarily in the
640 KB but could run its programs in EMS, Windows 3 moved from Real mode
to Protected mode and EMS to XMS. Windows 4 (95, 98, ME) shared being
semi-32 bit systems with essentially common, semi-bug fixed kernel and
gui. Windows 5 (XP, 2000) is based on the "now" 32-bit kernel (morphed
from a mix of Windows 3, OS/2 and Vax code.)

That said, they don't *always* follow that with major number changes
with their applications - there it is far more of a decision made in
Marketing rather than IT.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org