RE: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

OK, I was trying to stay out of this but I may as well weigh in.  Is the
install easy, no.  However, my very first Linux install period was Debian
"potato" on a Mac G3.  Now I am an x86 guy and never installed Linux before
and had SCSI drives in the Mac with OS 9 on the first hd and wanted to put
Debian on sdb (You would be surprised at the issues this causes by the way).
Aside from some funkiness with openfirmware and booting and a newbie problem
with X, I had the thing running in a day.  How HARD can that be?

<RANT>

It amazes me sometimes how little effort people put into things these days.
This includes people who actually do support for a living.  We pay an
outside company some significant money for help desk/desktop support.
Whenever they run across a problem they haven't seen before, do they
troubleshoot it at all?  No.  "Time to re-image your hard drive".  Yeesh.
Same goes for this newsgroup.  I am guilty of it at times myself, I will
admit but at times I am amazed at the simple questions that are asked over
and over.  Do they not search the net at all?  What would these people have
done 8-10 years ago when the Internet, newsgroups, etc. were not so readily
available.  When I was doing field service, we actually had to
"troubleshoot" problems.  And God forbid if you needed a new driver or such.
Then it was digging through Company BBS's or CompuServe or some other such
means.  And Oh My God, no pretty Graphical web browser to navigate those,
how did we survive???  :-)

</RANT>