Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 08:15, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:28:03AM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
>
> > A week ago, I was setting up a new box (well, new as Debian - had been
> > Win98 and RH) and got to try the Debian boot-floppies installation for
> > the first time in 2 1/2 years. Even after using Debian for 5 years,
> > and knowing how I wanted to lay things out, I had to repartition the
> > box three separate times to get something that would work with the
> > installer - it was being insistent that the first partition prepared
> > should be /, when I had planned to have /dev/hda1 as /boot.
>
> That would be the first partition that you prepare (ie put a file system
> on).  It has _nothing_ to do with the order of the partitions on the
> drive.  Thus, /dev/hda1 could very easily be used as /boot.  You just
> need to mount and prepare the partition that you wish to use as / first.
>
> --
> Jamin W. Collins

Yes, I realised that at the time. I just treat the creation of the
filesystems on the partitions, and the positioning of them in the tree
to be two separate steps, and by default would select the formatting
from the start to the end, rather than automagically going to / first.

Or at least I would have done that when I did that, before I realised
that it wanted / defined with the first filesystem. Either I read past
the information noting that too fast, or it wasn't mentioned. Either
happens.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org