python-ldap on woody

Anyone successfully using python-ldap on woody? I can't get the
example to work - it infinite loops for me.

Here's the example code (comments removed - and some small changes
made to match the fields on the ldap server - the original example is
at http://homepage.mac.com/mengelhart/python-ldap-samples.html#search):

import ldap

try:
  l = ldap.open("127.0.0.1")
  l.protocol_version = ldap.VERSION3
except ldap.LDAPError, e:
  print e

# Changed from example - set a base dn that exists
baseDN = "ou=mailingList,dc=longship,dc=org"
# Changed from example - require one and not sub (sub shows same symptom)
searchScope = ldap.SCOPE_ONELEVEL
retrieveAttributes = None
searchFilter = "(objectclass=*)"

try:
  ldap_result_id = l.search(baseDN, searchScope, searchFilter, retrieveAttributes)
  result_set = []
  while 1:
    result_type, result_data = l.result(ldap_result_id, 0)
    if (result_data == []):
        break
    else:
        # Next two lines added to show what happening
        print "T", result_type
        print "D", result_type
        if result_type == ldap.RES_SEARCH_ENTRY:
               result_set.append(result_data)
  print result_set
except ldap.LDAPError, e:
  print e

This returns

T None
D None
T None
D None
T None
D None
<many repeated lines>
T RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
D RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
T RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
D RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
T RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
D RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
T RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
D RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
T RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
D RES_SEARCH_ENTRY
T RES_SEARCH_RESULT
D RES_SEARCH_RESULT
T None
D None
T None
D None
T None
D None
<many repeated lines>

and doesn't return. T None, D None just continue until I interrupt the
process.

php-ldap, perl (Net::LDAP) and ldapsearch all correctly return 5
objects.

I'm no python programmer, but I need to synchronize some mailman lists
with ldap data - so if anyone can give me any suggestions - I'd be
grateful :-)

--
Chris Searle
debian@chrissearle.org