Re: Is my hard drive dying?

Andrew Pritchard said:
> I've been looking through the logcheck on one of my machines, and I've
> seen a lot of these types of messages:
>
> Mar 24 17:14:51 orion kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> Mar 24 17:14:51 orion kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
> UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3994439, sector=63232
> Mar 24 17:14:51 orion kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda),
> sector 63232
>
> Does this mean my drive is dying? I've not had any problems with the
> machine till now.

that is a common symtom of a drive that is beginning to fail. I would
reccomend running the vendor's diagnostic tools on the disk asap, and
backup your important data just incase.

depending on the drive, you may be able to low level format it using
the vendor's tools(this will erase all data) and get more life out of
it, one of my maxtor drives got an extra 6 months of life by low level
formatting it.

nate