help: startx causes system crash

I can't start a GUI and am lost so any help would be appreciated.

The problem:
Installed fine, then came to the command line and typed startx - a few lines
of information was printed to the screen before the screen went blank. I
couldn't reboot by ctrl-alt-del/bkspace, I couldn't do anything but switch
the computer off and on again. If I try to reboot into GUI mode the same
happens.

Further information:
using "xinit >& xinit.log" I get:
X: X: cannot execute binary file
giving up

./xinit: Connection refused
./xinit: No such process

I can't understand the first part of this problem, "X: cannot execute binary
file".

Do I need to specify a different driver for my video card? I have a s3
prosavage PM133 (ID 8A25), and the driver currently specified in the
XFree86Config-4 file is simply "savage".

I read on one website (www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html) about problems with
savage chipsets using less up-to-date versions of XFree86. I don't know how
to update XFree86...any pointers?

Thanks in advance, please ask for any further required information.

charlie