Re: When will we see alsa-modules for 2.4.20?

On Sat, 2003-03-22 at 08:26, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> Joe Emenaker wrote:
> >
> > 3 - I've tried compiling my own, using the ALSA driver source and the
> > 2.4.20-686 kernel source (after copying the config-2.4.20-686 file from
> > /boot into the kernel source tree as .config, for whatever it's worth),
> > and I got even *more* unresolved symbols when I tried to depmod those
> > modules.
>

> Are you also compiling your own kernel?
>

> > Does *anybody* have ALSA working with 2.4.20?
>

> Yes.  With alsa-base and alsa-headers installed, I compile alsa-source when I
> build my kernel (all from unstable):
>
> alsa-base 0.9.1
> alsa-headers 0.9.1
> alsa-source 0.9.1
> kernel-source 2.4.20
>
> (I don't use kernel-package, just the normal make commands)

Beyond that, getting it in the Sound section of the kernel configuration
requires getting Linus to feel comfortable with the state and time to
review it sufficiently to feel that it is ready for inclusion. I kinda
get the impression, given how long it took him to do any updates around
the emu10k1 driver, that he isn't into the intricacies of the sound
system code - that matters such as the scheduler, memory management and
the like (and the theory involved in optimal performance there) pique
his interest vastly more. I attribute that to him being human.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org