PCI ATA card support

G'day all,
I'm trying to setup a debian 3 r0 file/print server with a 1G Primary Master
HDD and a PCI ATA card ("Sil 0680 ATA/133 Medley RAID Controller") which has
2 of 40G HDD's.

I want a *very* minimal install on the 1G HDD with /home on a RAID1
partition on the 2 40G drives (user directories are in /home aren't they?).

RedHat & Mandrake with the 2.4 kernel recognise the ATA card OK but Debian 3
r0 can't seem to find it. The documentation from Silicon Image would
indicate that <snip> "for releases using a kernel later than 2.4, driver
support for your Silicon Image-based storage controller is already included"
<snip>.

I'm pretty much a newbie to linux so any help would be gratefully received.

tia
Lindsay

---