Re: Evolution

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 15:49, Oki DZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to install Evolution, but strangely, apt-get wanted to remove
> Galeon.
>
> root@okidz:~# apt-get install evolution
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   bonobo gtkhtml1.1 libbonobo2 libcamel0 libgal-dev libgal21 libgcc1
>   libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgdk-pixbuf-gnome-dev libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2
>   libgdk-pixbuf2 libgnome-pilot1 libgtkhtml1.1-3 libgtkhtml1.1-dev
> libnspr4
>   libnss3 libstdc++5 mozilla-browser mozilla-mailnews mozilla-psm
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   galeon galeon-common libgtkhtml1.1-1
>   libgtkhtml1.1-3
> 20 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 590  not
> upgraded.
> Need to get 26.2MB of archives. After unpacking 9542kB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> Pointers please.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Oki

You didn't indicate which branch of Debian you are installing, but I
will be wildly presumptive by the packages I'm seeing and say it is
"Unstable" (aka Sid.) The newest Evolution corresponds and somewhat
apparently draws upon certain libraries that are also used by Mozilla
1.3, which Galeon does not yet support. Remember, Galeon requires Gecko
from Mozilla, and rather than extracting the code as a fork and
including it as part of the Galeon package, it instead requires to be
tuned to work with a selected version of Mozilla. It hasn't (at least in
shipping Debian packages) been tuned to Mozilla 1.3 yet. As such, with
Mozilla moving forward in conjunction with Evolution, Galeon would no
longer work, and hence is removed.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org