Re: jabberd start-stop-daemon

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:04:09PM +1100, Peter Lavender wrote:
| Hi Everyone,
|
| I installed jabberd from .deb.  However jabber won't start from the start
| stop script /etc/init.d/jabber
|
| I can however start jabber from the commandline as root.  Since I could do
| this I thought it might have been a permission problem.
|
| At this point I still don't have jabber starting and I'm not sure where to
| look now.  Any help appreciated.

I had this problem for quite a while.  The first cause is that jabber
doesn't daemonize on its own.  So an option to start-stop-daemon is
used to daemonize before execing, but when that option is used you
lose the ability to see error messages after the daemonization point.
In my case, jabberd was trying to write data to stdout (and/or stderr)
but couldn't when start-stop-daemon daemonized it.  I sovled it by
modifying the script so 'nohup' is used to start jabberd and put the
output in a file.

HTH,
-D

--
If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/