Re: default editor

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 07:41:07PM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> writes:
>
> > And by way of illustrating just how worthless the distinction is these
> > days... when was the last time you actually used a line editor
> > interactively?
>
> It's been a couple years, but I've been known to use it to fix a
> broken system... 8^)

I've done that, but mainly on HP-UX. Some UNIX workstations have
severely non-functional text consoles, or rather the vendors fail to
include proper termcap/terminfo entries. For what it's worth, by default
Solaris CDE sets $EDITOR to dtpad (dtpad is to CDE what notepad is to
Windows), and $VISUAL isn't set at all.

--
Michael Heironimus