Re: Root login

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 03:18:58PM +0200, Johan van der Walt wrote:

> I just now installed Woody and did a simple installation using only tasksel.
> So Gnome is the display manager. However, it does not allow me to login as
> root. I need to install OpenOffice and to do that I have to login as root
> but not from the console.
>
> How can I get past this problem?

Everything that was posted so far is true, but I thought I'd add:  if you
want to be able to su to root (the best idea) and then run an X program, you
also need to type:

	xhost local:+

at an xterm (or other x terminal) prompt.  This allows local accounts other
than the one that started X access to the display.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum