Re: pdfs and mutt

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 09:17:34AM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Emma Jane Hogbin <emmajane@xtrinsic.com> wrote
> (on Tuesday, 18 March 2003, 07:59 AM -0500):
> >
> > More information on the situation...I noticed the attachment line in
> > "v"iew doesn't have the right info...
> > >   A     2 Program.pdf      [applica/octet-stre, base64, 170K]
> > Things that do work have applica/whateveritis
> >
> > All of my PDF attachments have octet-stream...is that because it's not
> > reading from mailcap or something else?
>
> Okay, that explains a lot. Grab the following script:
>  http://www.davep.org/mutt/mutt.octet.filter.pl
>
> make it executable, and put the following line in your .mailcap:
>  application/octet-stream; /path/to/mutt.octet.filter.pl %s; copiousoutput

or, insert
  >  mime-lookup application/octet-stream application/pdf
 and if you want to autoview it, also insert
  >  auto-view application/pdf
into your .muttrc

In my case there was no correspondening application/pdf in
/etc/mailcap file, so, if you also use the xpdf-utils pdftotext
to view your pdf files, you could put

 > application/pdf; /usr/bin/pdftotext %s; copiousoutput;
   description="Adobe Portable Document Format";nametemplate=%s.pdf
in one line,
  into /usr/lib/mime/packages/xpdf-utils (and i should fill a
  bug ? report against xpdf-utils) and run "update-mime"
or
  intro your .mailcap

read more about MIME Lookup with
 > lynx /usr/share/doc/mutt/html/manual-5.html#ss5.6

Greetings,
   Felix.