Re: ftp bug?

nope, swapping in the new router made no difference -- with either firmware version

nate wrote:
the remote site, 12.129.206.105, is THAT behind a NAT box?

no. I spoke to the hosting company earlier today & they just suggested "use passive mode". when I discovered the open bug against lftp I figured it probably wasn't them and posted here

have you tried lftp on another site?

yes, it works fine on every other site I've tried, except the example provided in bug 185268. My problem site isn't my domain, so I can't give out a login, but the behavior is the same with the anonymous site from the bug report:

ftp://peipa.essex.ac.uk/ipa/src/vision

can anyone get a directory listing from that server using sid + lftp (or telnet-ssl)?

I tried it on ftp.kernel.org and it worked fine. > try it there to make sure it's not the remote server causing the
problem.

worked fine.

aha,

I watched some of the traffic in ethereal, and noticed right about here:

---> PBSZ 0
<--- 200 PBSZ 0 successful

all the commands and responses turned into stuff like \200|\001\003\001

..right after an "AUTH TLS" command

so I'm guessing lftp (and telnet-ssl) supports SSL if it's supported remotely and either I've got to configure some kind of certificate or client support to connect to those sites (or find the switch to turn it off in the client), or the remote servers have SSL support enabled but mis-configured.

all the other servers I'd tried were a mix of nt or proftp servers I'd setup without SSL

sure enough, the option to turn it off is :
lftp> set ftp:ssl-allow no
works fine after that.

thanks for your help, nate