Re: Spam filter reviews?

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> writes:

> I installed bogofilter about 10 days ago and have been extremely
> impressed. Previously with spamassassin I was getting several
> false-negatives daily but now I hardly ever get even one. The training
> scheme seems to be very effective. The same applies to false-positives;
> there were a few to start with but those, too, have now been eliminated.

  Thanks Anthony. That's just what I was looking for.

  A couple of interesting data points from learning on my corpus which
  contains 90,000 ham and 200 spam messages. The spambox just got
  cleaned out unfortunately, but just as unfortunate, I'll have a couple
  of thousand in a week or two so training will be quick:

  bogofilter took 52 minutes to build:

    -rw-r--r--    1 wohler   users    73723904 2003-03-18 08:46 goodlist.db
    -rw-r--r--    1 wohler   users      581632 2003-03-18 08:46 spamlist.db

  spamprobe took 297 minutes to build:

    -rw-------    1 wohler   users    484311040 2003-03-17 22:36 sp_words

  sa-learn (--no-build on each folder followed by a single --rebuild)
  took 154 minutes to build:

    -rw-------    1 wohler   users      157448 2003-03-18 16:27 bayes_journal
    -rw-------    1 wohler   users         707 2003-03-18 16:27 bayes_msgcount
    -rw-------    1 wohler   users    10264576 2003-03-18 16:27 bayes_seen
    -rw-------    1 wohler   users    82419712 2003-03-18 16:27 bayes_toks

  In addition to your observations, bogofilter also wins on the space
  and time angles..