Re: ftp bug?

nate wrote:
this is a symtom of using active ftp vs passive ftp behind a NAT box.

try putting your lftp client in passive mode, it should work then.

hi nate,

I don't think so..

here's that output from lftp in debug mode again:

<--- 230 User zinextre logged in.
---> PWD
<--- 257 "/" is current directory.
---> PBSZ 0
<--- 200 PBSZ 0 successful
---> PASV
<--- 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,105,196,230).
---- Address returned by PASV seemed to be incorrect and has been fixed
---- Connecting data socket to (12.129.206.105) port 50406
---> LIST
Interrupt
---> ABOR

it is definitely *trying* to enter passive mode there.. the "Address returned by PASV seemed to be incorrect and has been fixed" message may be mucking it up though(?)

anyway, the client is set to use it:

kenneth@enlil:~$ lftp
lftp :~> set -a
set ftp:passive-mode on
 (trimmed a million other options...)

What I'm most confused by is mc working, but telnet behaving the same as lftp. I've confirmed mc is using passive mode as well. telnet in pasv mode:

230 User zinextre logged in.
syst
215 UNIX Type: L8
cwd www
250 CWD command successful.
pasv
227 Entering Passive Mode (12,129,206,105,190,135).
cwd ..
250 CWD command successful.
list
 (hangs forever)
421 No Transfer Timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I did do a firmware upgrade for my NAT router recently.. possibly since last using lftp. I just happen to have a fresh replacement for it too because it was crashing a lot last week. The firmware upgrade didn't stop the crashes, but 2-3 days later they did stop. I've been waiting for the crash to happen again before replacing it, but I'll go ahead and do it now and see if it changes anything

thanks.

> never used lftp myself so I'm not sure how to do it, it should be
> pretty easy, most ftp clients just typing 'passive' or 'pasv' at the
> ftp prompt is enough

I've been using lftp so far as a kind of drop-in ms cmd 'ftp' client replacement, but discovered a really nice looking mirror/reverse mirror option in the man page this morning that I wanted to try out