Re: Grip Causing System Lockup

Nicos Gollan wrote:
On Tuesday 18 March 2003 23:23, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

Hi All,

I've recently been having problems where if grip encounters a particular
nasty track, it will totally slow down the computer but continue ripping
(albeit at 0.1x). Clicking repeatedly on abort rip (or abort rip +
encode (the encoding process dies just fine)) seems to have no effect
and I usually have to resort to rebooting the whole system. Is this a
known issue with Grip?

Could it be that you're trying to rip a defective (copy-protected) disc? The slowdown indicates that something is probably screwing up the drive.

Well, one disc is in absolute pristine condition. No scratches, mars, or known copy-protection (it was pressed in 1994), the other plays very well, pressed in 1997.

The other cd has known problems on one of the tracks, but that's it (although it locks up the instant I start ripping).

It could also be an old or badly pressed disc. I got some old discs that will play fine oin some players and fail at a certain position in others.

Poo. I was hoping it was a problem with GRIP. These happen to be CD's I consider 'vital' to my collection (either for depth of music for a track or two or just sheer mind-blowing awesomeness of the entire compilation)

--
http://mc-luug.homelinux.org
MC-LUUG Home Page