Re: Really Confused

also sprach Bill <bill@suscom-maine.net> [2003.03.18.2231 +0100]:
>     I currently have Debian 2.2 R7 I3 installed and I am not sure what
> release I have whether its stable or unstable.

you run Potato, which is the version before Woody. Woody is now
stable and has replaced Potato. So your version is neither stable
nor unstable, it is what came before stable. It goes like this:

                  pre-summer-2002  post-summer-2002 (e.g. NOW)
  Potato          stable           -
  Woody           testing          stable
  Sarge           -                testing
  Sid             unstable         unstable

> difference between Stable, Unstable and woody? I would guess that
> stable is the most current release and unstable is a Beta (?).
> I am not sure where woody falls into place. I am not sure if it
> makes a difference or not but I am running this on a 1.2 Athlon
> with 256MB of RAM and 40GIG of storage.

no, it doesn't. you can run woody without problems. just change
occurrences of potato in /etc/apt/sources.list to woody:

  sed -e 's,potato,woody,g' < /etc/apt/sources.list > /tmp/sources
  mv /tmp/sources /etc/apt/sources.list

and then execute:

  apt-get update
  apt-get -u dist-upgrade

then sit back and watch as your system is being upgraded.

`. `'`

Keyserver problems? http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html
Get my key here: http://madduck.net/me/gpg/publickey