Re: (OT) low-power home server

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Tom Allison wrote:
> > Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> >> [..] a new box to replace it, which should be small and
> >> silent, and consume as little electricity as possible
> >
> > Start with VIA's cyrix chips. [..] I'm not sure, but I think
> > the NIC's come with one built in and a couple PCI slots (maybe
> > only one, but that's all you need)
>
> This is it.. missed this whole ITX/VIA thing so far. Definitely
> the way to go. Thanks.

I recommend the openbrick, which has a cyrix chip and uses little power.
You can put in an old laptop hard drive and boot it off the compact
flash, so the hard drive is not even spinning most of the time, yeilding
no moving parts and complete silence. (I spin mine up for upgrades and
large downloads.) The openbrick-E has 3 NIC's, while the regular
openbrick has one ethernet and one pcmcia slot that can be used for
wireless. It also has USB and plenty of other connectors.

And the system fits in a hand and is easily portable -- I just flew out
to visit family with a laptop + my openbrick, dumped the brick in my
sister's bedroom where there's a phone line and it's like I never left
home. She doesn't even know it's there. :-) http://openbrick.org/

--
see shy jo