Re: (OT) low-power home server

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
For a long time now I've been using an old Pentium 75 as the
"headless mail server/firewall/gateway" (running Woody) in my
home, and it works very well.

The only problem is that it is old and I wonder what to replace it
with if it dies.

Ideally I would like to have a new box to replace it, which should
be small and silent, and consume as little electricity as
possible; but it does not need to have "high end" specs at all. It
does not need to be fast, nor have lots of memory (the old Pentium
works fine with 16 M), and 1 gig of disk space would be more than
enough. No sound needed, no video (in principle), but of course it
should have room for 2 NIC's.

I should have thought that there must be a market for such a
thing, with so many people running home networks, but so far I
haven't found any suppliers of things like this. Maybe I haven't
been looking in the right places. Any ideas?

Regards, Jan

Start with VIA's cyrix chips.
They have units that you ccan buy off the shelf (sort of) that could do all of this for <100W power and small.

I'm not sure, but I think the NIC's come with one built in and a couple PCI slots (maybe only one, but that's all you need)

--
Long computations which yield zero are probably all for naught.