filesystem encryption

I've been considering creating a partition on my hard drive with an
encrypted filesystem for storing my financial data. Looking through the
literature on how to do this, it appears that there are several
competing systems around. This is something I've never done before, so
I'm a little perplexed about which system is best.

Right now, the most up-to-date information I have comes from an article
in LinuxFormat Magazine, December 2001 (pages 30-37). It was the cover
story in that particular edition, and I think you can still download it
as a PDF file from their web site (www.linuxformat.co.uk).

Anyway, they seem to favor installing the cryptoapi modules at
http://cryptoapi.sourceforge.net, plus the utilities at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux. It looks rather
complicated, but I'm willing to try it.

My question is whether or not this is the best way to go? The
LinuxFormat article is more than a year out of date. I've looked through
the Debian (stable) packages list, and it says nothing about cryptoapi,
though a search on the word "crypt" reveals a number of other
cryptographic packages such as cfs 1.4.1-7 which is also a cryptographic
filesystem.

Any pointers on this topic (and suggested online references) would be
greatly appreciated.

regards,
Robert