Printing with lprng -- inexplicable pauses or halts

I'm using Debian Woody.  When I print any PostScript job, there will
typically be a long pause in mid-job.  This often occurs in the middle of
printing a line.  The Epson Stylus Color 660 just stops, the "busy" light
keeps flashing, but no printing.

Sometimes a minute later, sometimes as long as an hour later, the job
suddenly starts again.  It might complete normally, or it might just stop
again just as inexplicably.

Then again, sometimes the job just never restarts and I have to lprm it and
reprint the whole document.  Inkjet ink is expensive, so this is not really
acceptable.

If I print the same file twice, freezes might happen one time but not the
other, or might happen at different points, so it isn't output-specific.

Any suggestions on debugging this?

Relevant packages:

	lprng 3.8.10-1
	magicfilter 1.2-53