Re: Download accelerator

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:19:36 -0800,
Vineet Kumar wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> * Joao Paulo <jserrachinha@esoterica.pt> [20030317 02:51 PST]:
> > John wrote:
> > >
> > >There's a gui called downloader for x , it's in unstable
> > >anyway apt-get install d4x
> > >
> > >or alternatively download the source and build it yourself
> > >http://www.krasu.ru/soft/chuchelo/ It supports multiple
> > >connections for downloads ( iff the other side allows it of
> > >course ) Ive been using it for a long time.
> > >
> > >cheers
> >
> > Yes, very good. It's like ms$ getright.
>
> GetRight is a product of Headlight Software, which is, AFAIK,
> not in any way affiliated with the microsoft corporation.
>
> The GetRight site indicates that they are working on versions
> for Mac and even Linux, and also relays reports that it works
> under WINE.  So if that's what you're looking for, it may be a
> way to go.

There are a couple of free alternatives. See below.

> I haven't used it since I liberated my desktop many years ago,
> and I don't know if it supports segmented downloads, etc.  I'd
> prefer to recommend a Free solution, but I don't use any
> download managers (besides mozilla's built-in one) so I can't
> give a good recommendation.

aria allows segmented, simultaneous and recursive downloads. It
has a tendency though to freeze if you don't hard stop downloads
before exiting. In contrast prozilla allows segmented one file
downloads.

For a long time I swore by pavuk, which hasn't had a new release
in a couple of months. It's much faster than wget if you're
downloading a list of files or mirroring a site. For mainly site
or directory mirroring, as against single file wget'ing I'd
recommend httrack.

As many already pointed out wget is the standard. But that
doesn't prevent you from putting a nice faceplate over it. I've
tried several wget frontends like gtm (Gnome Transfer Manager)
and kmago and kbear.