Re: kde - gnome - and window managers

Brian T said:

> Unfortunately, I did something and now all that I can do is start either
> Enlightenment, IceWM, Window Maker, Sawfish, Blackbox, AfterStep, or
> Fvwm95.
>   The regular "gnome-interface" and "kde-interface" doesn't come up
> anymore.  I'd like to use those "desktops" again.  Do you have any idea
> how to fix
> this.

you don't mention how your starting X, is it via display manager(does
X automatically come up when you boot?) or do you run 'startx'? For
me I put the name of the window manager(afterstep in my case) in
~/.xinitrc  e.g.

echo "exec `which afterstep`" >~/.xinitrc

for KDE the usual command is 'startkde'

so

echo "exec `which startkde`" >~/.xinitrc

for gnome I think the command is usually 'gnome-session'

so

echo "exec `which gnome-session`" >~/.xinitrc

the end result would be if you cat ~/.xinitrc you would see 1 line:
exec /usr/bin/afterstep

(in the case of afterstep)

some people like to use the ~/.xsession file(I think thats it), I
use xinitrc out of habbit(been using it since '96)

nate