Re: installing new kernel

Brian T said:

> I'm doing this because I want to add sound support for my Dell Latitude nm
>  256 sound.  First I wanted to recompile the 2.2.20 kernel.  I tried
> running  "make-kpkg " prior but the error message is "command not found".
> So, I  tried to install this command via dselect but there was no item
> named  "make-kpkg".

you need the package kernel-package, you'll also need all the development
stuff for building the kernel, since your on x86 I use bin86, make, gcc,
libncurses5-dev(for menuconfig, don't need it if you use xconfig or
config). so I apt-get install bin86 make gcc libncurses5-dev ..I think
that's all I need, apt-get should tag a buncha other stuff if it needs
to.

> So, I used dselect and chose items like "kernel-image 2.4.20-5" and
> "kernel-sourc 2.4.20-5".  I assumed that when it installed the new kernel
> would be used.

yes, once  you reboot.

> boot=/dev/hda2
> root=/dev/hda3
> compact
> install=/boot.boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> delay=20
> image=/vmlinuz
> label = Linux
> read-only
> initrd=/initrd.img
>
> If you can help that would be appreciated.

verify that your boot and root settings are right. Often LILO is installed
in the MBR(/dev/hda in your case) or on the root partition(/dev/hda3 in
your case), I have never seen it installed on a different partition like
you have above.

also verify the existance of /initrd.img, it is required to boot the
packaged 2.4.x kernels. I would expect this file to be in /boot so
the one in / is probably a symlink..

after your done, run lilo and reboot.

if you've already rebooted and it's not using the new kernel I'd say
that LILO is being installed at the wrong location. I reccomend
the MBR for single OS systems, if  you dual boot then you may not
want to put it there(some do, some don't)

nate