Re: CVS over ssh hanging on testing

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 08:01:16AM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
>>   Note that while the cvs process hangs, I am able to successfully log
>>   in with ssh.
>
> What are the versions of cvs on the client and the server?

  1.11.1p1 on the client which is running woody. 1.11.2-5.1 on the
  server which is running sarge, although I tried 1:1.11.5-2 from
  unstable and cvs 1.11.1p1debian-8 from stable too.

>                                                            See
> http://ffii.org/archive/mails/groff/2003/Feb/0131.html, perhaps.

  Based upon this note, it would seem that unstable's version on the
  server would have fixed things. But it didn't. Also, I think this
  hanging was due to the use of compression which I haven't been using
  for some time for this very reason.

  I then installed 1.11.5 on the client (which is woody, so I built from
  source) so that both versions were the same, but no joy. I think we're
  on the right track, but what?

  Remember, this worked before I upgraded my cvs server system which
  runs sarge to the new libc6 stuff, which did upgrade cvs to 1.11.2-5.1
  (but from what?)

  I finally tried installing 1.11.1p1debian-8.1 on both systems to no
  avail either.

  Another potential clue: an scp *pushing* a large file from the client
  to the server writes 132 kB (regardless of the file, as long as it is
  larger than 132 kB) and then stalls whereas an scp *pulling* the same
  file from the client to the server completes.

    On client:
    OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090603f

    On server:
    OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-4, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090607f

  Please let me know if there is anything else I can try.