Re: Removing CRONTAB jobs

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 06:33:50AM +0100, n/a wrote:
> I've just set up a firewall for some students, now it's late and i'm still awake and ....
>
> this machine is making a lot of noise. Are there any crontab jobs i surely should NOT remove ?

in general, i think most the crontabs are there for a reason.  for example,
the find job (probably the noisiest of them all), updates the database
that the "locate" command uses for finding stuff.  if the noise keeps
you up at night, i guess you could disable it, but then don't expect
locate to be too helpful in a couple weeks.

also, you can change the frequency of any of these jobs by moving
them from /etc/cron.daily to /etc/cron.weekly if you really want.

hth
	sean