Re: woody debian

Michael Gillard wrote:
> i downloaded the mini iso debian 3.o and installed the thing up and running
> with everything working but when i try to shut down it won't go. there is no
> shut down option on the logout?
> can you help?

The normal way to shutdown a system is with shutdown.  Here is a
typical invocation.

  shutdown -h now

Also, if you are running the graphical login managers like kdm or
gnome there is usually a shutdown button there when you are not logged
in.  Or in kdm and gnome on their menu there is a shutdown system
button on their user menus.

Of course you can always cntrl-alt-delete from the console, triggering
init to reboot the system, and then just turn the power off after it
has reset and is starting to boot again.

You might be asking how to have the system with an ATX electronically
controlled power supply turn itself off.  The wonders of modern
science.

The 'powermgmt-base' package is needed in order to have a system
automatically power down when the reboot halt command is issued.
Also, you need to have 'apm' loaded into the kernel.  Or ACPI if you
have that type of system instead of APM.

  apt-get install powermgmt-base

  echo apm >> /etc/modules

(I don't have an ACPI system so I can't say exactly what is needed
there.  But it is probably similar.)

HTH
Bob