Re: make menuconfig fails

Russell Shaw wrote:
> In the kernel source, when i do "make menuconfig" i get the error:

Common problem.  But most people just have not installed it yet.  You
look to have a corrupted library or something.

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses

Check that you have the following on your system.

  apt-get install libncurses5-dev

  /usr/include/curses.h
  /usr/lib/libncurses.a
  /usr/lib/libncurses.so

> I think i *have* got ncurses installed, because midnight commander runs, and
> sudo ldconfig -p:

Note that you do not need sudo for 'ldconfig -p'.  It is a read-only
command.

> 342 libs found in cache `/etc/ld.so.cache'
>         libncurses.so.5 (libc6) => /lib/libncurses.so.5
> locate ncurses:
> [...looks reasonable...]
> "make menuconfig" used to run ok, so it's something that
> happened to the system (2.4.20, gcc-2.95.4, libc6).

Perhaps the symlink to the library got corrupted.  Try running 'sudo
ldconfig -v' (sudo needed there :-) and see if it fixes the problem.

You might want to remove and reinstall libncurses5-dev.

Bob