Re: nvidia follow-up and new question

John F. wrote:
> settings, because when I try to run something like "tuxracer", I get the
> following:
>
> Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
> are too resticitive.

You need to be in the 'video' group.  You probably already went
through this with the audio group.

> The README file from the driver said to modify
> /etc/security/console.perms of /etc/logindevperms, but I can't find
> either.  How do I change the permissions for these?  Thanks

No, that is making things too hard.  Just add yourself to the video
group.  You will need to log out and then log back in again to have
that take effect.  You can tell what groups you are in by the 'id'
command.  Make sure it looks similar to this.

  id
  uid=1000(bob) gid=1000(bob) groups=1000(bob),4(adm),25(floppy),29(audio),40(src),44(video),50(staff)

As the primary user on the machine you should add yourself to all of
these groups.

  adduser jfloren adm           # browse /var/log/* files
  adduser jfloren audio         # sound
  adduser jfloren floppy        # run mdir, mtools
  adduser jfloren src           # /usr/src
  adduser jfloren staff         # /usr/local, /home
  adduser jfloren video         # tuxracer, svgalib framebuffer

One of the reasons these are all restricted is that it was an old
security hole to open up /dev/dsp to the world.  Any computer with a
microphone then because an easy way to easedrop on your boss or anyone
else you wanted.  And there were the other practical jokes of playing
sounds at fun times too.  So it is better that only you have the
permission to do that rather than just anyone with a login.  It avoids
the problem in a simple way.

Bob