Re: CUPS Update failed

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:58:02 -0500
ronin2@bellatlantic.net sat at his keyboard and wrote:

> As a general rule, it isn't safe to force things. That's why it must
> be specified as an argument.
>
> In THIS case, it's safe, and we can be pretty certain of that:
>  1. Apt's error message tells you the problem is that the package
>  failed to install because one of its files would overwrite a file
>  already on the system. This is good, safe default behavior, because
>  apt doesn't know whether the packages work and play well together.
>  2. We, on the other hand, can be sure it's OK to overwrite THIS file,
> because it's part of the same version of CUPS. If one file were from
> CUPS and the other from (for example) gnome-print we wouldn't be able
> to say whether the files would conflict or not.
>
> If you're a new Debianese these things can be confusing. (Heck, if
> you're an old Debianese they can be confusing!)
>
> I recommend installing aptitude. Use it to browse the "Not installed
> packages" ---> "doc" section. Install everything about Debian, apt,
> and dpkg that you have room for, especially the Debian Reference,
> newbiedoc, and dwww.
>
> Then the fun begins. We need to find a way to transmit that knowledge
> to our brains. Unfortunately, there's only one way.
>
> Say it with me, "RTFM". <big g>
>
> Good luck.
>
> Kevin

Thank you Kevin for your elaborate, well put, answer. As you can see by
my sig, I AM a certified Debianese newbie. I did try aptitude. The one
thing I didn't like about ti was that it didn't show me how big the
packages are before I download them. I like to know this because I have
a dialup connection which I share with my three teeagers. So, i like to
have an estimate in my head of how long it's going to take to download
this update. Maybe I missed it; does aptitude show package sizes? Thanks
for the RTFM tip, I'll do that right away. I'm pretty sure my 75GB WD
drive has enough room.

--
debian_newbie,
Thanks