Re: How do I get the install disks to recognize my network?

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 06:42PM, sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> wrote(heavy snippage):

>> Due to lack of funds and lack of access to CD-burner, I was hoping to use the Floppies / net install option to install to my new comp ( Intel D845GBV moterboard with onboard LAN ).

>do you know what chipset it is?

mobo is 845G. The NIC / LAN whatever, I dunno.

> i would guess that it's an ether express
>card of some kind because the mobo is intel, so try ctrl-alt-d2 to get a
>root prompt during install, and running
>
>modprobe eepro100
>
>then
>
>ifconfig eth0

modprobe eepro100 says Device or resource busy, insmod /lib/modules/2.2.20/net/eepro100.o failed.

ifconfig eth0 says 'eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found'

>if eth0 shows up, you should be good.  if not, you might need to try
>other modules.  they should be located in
>
>/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/

Okay. I guess I should just start going down the list.

>also, you said that this is your first install of linux.  i'd really recommend
>taking the time to download and burn yourself a knoppix cd (also based off
>of debian).

I'm trying to harrass those friends of mine with burners to do so for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

>hth
>	sean

John Kenneth Fisher
johnkfisher@mac.com