RE: Installed iptraf ... lost XWindows

Stephen and Claudia Handley said:
> Hi Nate,
>
> I think you're spot on in your assesment.
>
> It does have 'stable' entries.
>
> My Debian version was 2.2. I thought when I researched IPTraf that it
> worked for Debian 2.2 and above.
>
> The output from ls -l /lib/libc.so.6*
>
> shows me
>
> libc.so.6 -> libc.2.2.5.so
>
> So any ideas of how I might fix the problem? I think all my other packages
> (Raid, Apache, QMail etc) are working OK. So if I can just get XWindows
> and IPTraf up and running I'll be fine.

I'd really reccomend you finish the upgrade to woody if it's not done
already. Having a half woody half potato system probably is not a very
good idea for the long run.

I reccomend:

apt-get update ;apt-get dist-upgrade

and finish the upgrade. you probably will want to recompile qmail for
the new glibc, though it may work fine as is. Luckily woody includes
xfree86 3.3.6 like potato so it should be easy to get X working
again, here's the packages I use for X 3.3.6 on woody:

xserver-common
xserver-svga
xserver-vga16
xbase-clients
xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-base
xfs

or you can re-configure your system to use X v4. If your system
worked fine on potato with 3.3.6, the fastest way to get back up
and going is to stick to 3.3.6, since your configuration file
is already done & known good.

good luck! and this may be a good thing, upgrading to woody is
good since support for it will(most likey) get dropped in a few
months.

nate