Re: Segfault starting X (was: Matrox G550 and Dual Head)

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:03:35 -0800 (PST)
Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

> I replaced a Nvidia-based board with a G550 in a machine and I think I
> have my XF86Config-4 file setup correctly, but I'm getting a segfault
> when trying to start X and my monitor reports:

I looked at your earlier message and its links. From the log file, near
the end:

>Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved! Symbol
>__glXActiveScreens from module
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!(II) Entity 0
>shares no resources(II) Entity 1 shares no resources
>(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
>(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
>(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
>(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
>(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
>(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
>(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
>(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
>(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
>(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
>(II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension

I'm certainly no XFree guru, but I'll take a swing at it.

When you install NVIDIA drivers, it replaces the regular XFree glx stuff
with its own. It looks to me like now XFree is looking for its own glx
and can't find it.

If this is the problem you'll need to reinstall XFree. (How much of it I
don't know.)

I notice the "symbols unresolved" messages and remember that kernel
configuration includes choices of support for AGP and DRI. Perhaps your
kernel doesn't support these and that's why the symbols are undefined.
Check in the "Character devices" section of the kernel configuration and
read the help.

Kevin