Segfault starting X (was: Matrox G550 and Dual Head)

I replaced a Nvidia-based board with a G550 in a machine and I think I
have my XF86Config-4 file setup correctly, but I'm getting a segfault when
trying to start X and my monitor reports:

  "Out of Range - 200.0KHz/274Hz"

A more detailed message is at:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2003/debian-x-200303/msg00256.html

that includes links to my config and log files.

I initially tried running X with my stock 4.2.1 mga driver, and then I
tried with the 4.2.1 binary drivers from the Matrox site.  Same problem.

If I try to startx, the monitor(s) click like changing modes, then both
report the out of range message, although the Sony G500 reports the above
message.  ssh in from another machine and I do not see X running.  It
takes a reboot to get the display to work again.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org