Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

On Saturday 15 March 2003 05:55, ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:06:23 -0500
>
> "Roberto Sanchez" <sanchezr@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone encountered this? How was this handled? What was the
> > outcome? What can I do?
>
> Ask them if you can have the old machines.
>
> Check out the Linux Terminal Server Project, and figure out how to use
> the old machines as terminals.
>
> If they don't want to use the hardware and your knowledge, someone else
> will.

Kevin start out right but get the wrong conclusion. Up until the last
paragraph he has the right strategy.

You have to show that it work this time, then at the next crossroad they will
ask to use your soulution /if/ your work has been convincing.

Let them buy that large Dell and ask to get the old machines for your
purposes. Install LTSP on them, remember you need one as a server, so maybe
you need to reorganize a bit hardware in order to get the server a bit more
powerful. Leave the best CRT and the fastest graphics card for the best of
the rest. There are already projects with linux for schools that have
finished setup for this, the one I know is in Norwegian so it won't help you,
but look for one in your language on google. (Maybe you already know one).

Make sure that the linux equivalents of web browser, mail reader etc. and
openoffice gets cleanly installed. Set up Samba to talk to that Dell machine
and any printers that are reachable by that Dell. Motto here is
/transparency/. If there is only one Dell and many users, sooner or later
somebody will have to 'migrate' to one of your LTSP machines if he or she
want to browse on the web, read email from mum, get that classwork printed
etc. There is no need to try to hide that they are LTSP linux by having a win
desktop, that will only confuse your users as the desktops don't behave
exactly as XP does.

When you have succeded in setting up the LTSP, the server, samba, printing,
openoffice etc. /leave it like that/. Don't touch the system unless there are
bugs to fix or serious flaws appear. If the machines are unavailable because
you are hacking around on a new version on xy you will ruin all your good
credits.

When they come and ask: "Roberto, how can we get more speed on those nice
Penguin desktops?" You can think seriously for a moment, and then suggest: "
Now, if we made that Dell machine into the server of the LTSP network ..."

Roberto, seeing is believing. I wish you good luck, and report back if your
efforts bring any result.
--
Svenn