Re: How can I unistall mysql?

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:29:15PM -0700, Didier Caamano wrote:
> Thank you for your help, but this is the output for the line that you give
> me:
> athena:~# apt-get remove --purge mysql
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package mysql is not installed, so not removed
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4  not upgraded.
>
> But the funny thing is this:
> athena:~# mysql -p
> Enter password:
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 5 to server version: 3.23.49-log
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql>

The mysql packages are called mysql-common, mysql-client and
mysql-server. Purge these instead. apt-cache search is your friend.

> So I don't know what's going on here. Despite that fact, I tried to compile
> the source code and this is the output for the error:
> athena:~# ./configure --without-debug --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> checking for termcap functions library... configure: error: No
> curses/termcap library found
>
> Do you, or anyone have any idea of what's going on here, how can I get rid
> of mysql and then compile the source code?, any hint will be appreciated.

That means you don't have the files necessary for ncurses development
installed. apt-get install libncurses5-dev should help, but are you positive
you need to get rid of the packages and install from source?

Leaving the safe haven of the packaged environment can be quite an
endeavour, and there are many more issues like these likely to crop up.

Cheers,
Nick
--
Nicolas Kratz                           |   GPG-key: 1D6D075A
<nick@ikarus.dyndns.org>                |   Never touch a running sysop,