Re: emacs fonts/locale error

(I'm ruthlessly snipping here)

> From what I can tell, the default system environment is set in
> /etc/environment (LANG=C, etc.).

yes the default is C, not en_US as was mentioned earlier....

> So I changed the system environment back to C.  As root, '# locale' gives
> me all "=C", but, for my basic user account, '$ locale' still gives me
> "LC_*=en_US.UTF-8".

What version you using? If you're in unstable dpkg reconfigure locales
won't do it. You have to also do this:

Copied and paste from:
http://xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/language.phtml
(which is about installing multilingual search engines)

Once you're sure the locale is installed updatedb to update the database
of file names and then locate LC_CTYPE. Still don't have the *&@!!
LC_CTYPE? No fear! (At least no fear if you're on debian.) When I
installed locales on Woody + unstable my libc6 and libc6-dev  packages
were upgraded (I don't know what this means either, but stay with me). If
you're running Woody + stable you should have no problems. To fix Woody +
unstable you need to compile the locale definitions file manually (for
each locale). I used this:
localedef -v -c -i fr_CA -f UTF-8 /usr/lib/locale/fr_CA
-v verbose
-c force: output files even if there are warnings
-i use this input file
-f character map file
/usr/lib/locale/fr_CA where to put the new file

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]