RE: How can I unistall mysql?

Thank you for your help, but this is the output for the line that you give me:
athena:~# apt-get remove --purge mysql
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package mysql is not installed, so not removed
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4  not upgraded.

But the funny thing is this:
athena:~# mysql -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 5 to server version: 3.23.49-log

mysql>

So I don't know what's going on here. Despite that fact, I tried to compile the source code and this is the output for the error:
athena:~# ./configure --without-debug --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
checking for termcap functions library... configure: error: No curses/termcap library found

Do you, or anyone have any idea of what's going on here, how can I get rid of mysql and then compile the source code?, any hint will be appreciated.

Have a nice evening,
Didier

"Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers and deluge the hoby market with good software"...Bill Gates 1976...We're still waiting