Re: Video Screen shift to the right

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:23:08 -0500
"Wathen, Metherion" <MWathen@bsalifestructures.com> wrote:

> solution. I just installed Woody (stable) on an older PC with a 3Dfx
> Voodoo3 video card (16Mb RAM on the vid card) after some trial and
> error I finally got X-4.1 to work but now it shifts the video screen
> to right far enough that the monitor/screen adjustment buttons aren't
> effective, yet everything (so far) displays in the visible area.

Play a bit with xvidtune and if your satisfied with one setting, then
add those to your /etc/x11/XF86Config-4. You could add one or more new
video modes to your monitor section like this:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-69
        VertRefresh     50-120
        Option          "DPMS"

        # 1024x768 @ 82 Hz, 65.18 kHz hsync
        Mode "1024x768c"
            DotClock    85
            HTimings    1024 1056 1176 1304
            VTimings    768 772 775 795
        EndMode

EndSection

Of course you can call the video mode(s) whatever you want, but I always
use to name it to the resolution plus "c" for "custom". Then you can use
this video mode in your display modes in the screen section:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1024x768c" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1024x768c" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Don't forget to set your default depth and that's it!

Regards,
Christian